Birthday weekend (part 1): Fired Arts, food at Fancie, a fondant fancie disaster & family time.

I turned 28 yesterday and had a lovely weekend with friends, family and Jonathan and thought I would share a few snippets with you starting off with what I got up to on Saturday. 

Before I get going I wanted to say "thanks" for all of the sweet messages I received via Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. I felt very lucky indeed to have such nice virtual friends and read every single message.

Giving my new Yumi coat (sale purchase from House of Fraser!) and black River Island jeans an outing
Anniel pumps c/o Sarenza

I went to Fired Arts for the second time (I blogged about my first time here) on Saturday morning with my friend, Katy. It was fairly quiet in there so we had a good chat and a catch up on what we've both been up to recently. We both opted for decoupage instead of pottery painting and made the same bunting using the same paper!

The bunting turned out really well and looks great on our hall door with a bit of sturdy string!



Before heading home, and as we were feeling rather peckish, we drove down the road to the new Fancie cafe which opened recently on Ecclesall Road. After a wait of about 15 minutes we were offered a couple of seats on a raised bench (as opposed to a proper table which people didn't seem to be vacating very speedily). The seats we got were fine anyway and our food came out really quickly (actually it came just before our drinks but not to worry!)

I opted for a cup of Yorkshire Tea and the veggie breakfast which consisted of 2 vegetarian sausages, 2 fried eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes with a side of the NICEST brown door-stop toast. I am not normally a fan of cooked tomatoes but these ones were really tasty, and the mushrooms, whatever they were cooked in, went down a treat. I got plenty of toast and actually struggled to finish, so my worries of the portions being small beforehand were soon put to rest.

Katy had a big bowl of curried parsnip soup (from the specials board) with door-stop brown bread and a bottle of raspberry lemonade and gave it all a big thumbs up!


We drove home where I found Jonathan busy in the kitchen baking me, I assumed, a birthday cake which I later found out had gone disastrously wrong. Having never baked before he was attempting fondant fancies. Needless to say they didn't go to plan but they tasted great and that's the main thing right! 10 out of 10 for effort. At the rate I am polishing them off I think I'll be on a sugar high for a while...

There was time for a cup of tea and a sprawl on the sofa (while Jonathan watched the rugby) before heading to Sheffield to his sister and brother in laws home. Jonathan's mum recently celebrated her 70th birthday (I swear there is no way she is 70, but apparently so!) and we spent a nice evening with his family eating good food, doing quizzes and playing board games. I know what to get Jonathan for Christmas this year now - boys and Lego ay!


By the time we got home it was after midnight and my birthday (woohoo!) so I was naughty and opened all of my presents as I've got no self control whatsoever. I got so many lovely gifts and felt well and truly spoilt. I got too many things to list them all but amongst them was money, Next vouchers, a onesie, a Gemma Correll tshirt (this one in grey), a shabby chic dressing table mirror, socks, jewellery, candles, a mug, a new cross stitch book (this one to be precise), and lots of vegetarian friendly sweets including marshmallows which I have been craving for quite some time.

We got up bright and early on Sunday morning for the long drive to Beamish but more about that another time as it requires a blog post all of its own. I will leave you with a photo of the sweet shop where I may have made a sneaky purchase...


You have read this article diary / fashion / Sarenza with the title Birthday weekend (part 1): Fired Arts, food at Fancie, a fondant fancie disaster & family time.. You can bookmark this page URL http://oscarthemaori.blogspot.com/2013/02/birthday-weekend-part-1-fired-arts-food.html. Thanks!