Jogging (for beginners).

Last year I dabbled in a bit of jogging in preparation for Race for Life, but soon gave up once the race was over. I didn't put as much effort into the training as I could have done, and when it came to the race I had to take a few breaks. I won't even mention the incredibly steep hill 2 minutes in. In all honesty, I was disappointed in myself.

My trainers have had a dusting off as part of my new years resolution to take part in Race for Life again, and I'm out and about once more! Don't get me wrong, I'm no pro. I find it hard and I can't run for very long, but once I'm out there I really enjoy it.

I get the odd tweet asking for advice on how to get started and I thought I'd put together a little blog post of the things (and people) that inspire me, and what my beginners routine is.

I've mentioned my love for this blog before - it's brilliant. Very funny, regular posts so there's always something new to read, and just very inspiring!

I'm fairly new to this blog but this lady (and her tweets) inspire me constantly to get off my butt and move around! I particularly like this blog post as it shows what dedication, and a worthy cause, can achieve!

My iPhone app

If you've got an iPhone you don't need me to tell you about the array of running/diet apps out there, but this is the one I use. It was free so you can't say fairer than that! It times you and tracks your route; perfect if you don't know your new neighbourhood too well and you get lost easily (e.g. me). It saves each session so you can track your progress and see if your distance and average pace are improving.

Google
Type in 'Couch to 5k' and you'll find a zillion links to all things beginner. I used a 'Couch to 5k' program last year and it was a great starting block to get going. I'm loosely following a beginner to 10k program at the moment but I find I can push myself a little bit harder so I've gone off course slightly!

Slow progress
Each time I go out for a jog I increase by a minute each time. It doesn't sound much, but if I continue at that rate in a few months time I'll be running.... erm, a long way!

Celebs
I know, I know.. they have all the time in the world to exercise and they have access to the best personal trainers, but it does the trick for me. A quick look at a killer gym body makes me want to put down the 8th biscuit in a row. I'll leave you with some Victoria Secret models - why not!

You have read this article diet and exercise with the title Jogging (for beginners).. You can bookmark this page URL http://oscarthemaori.blogspot.com/2011/01/jogging-for-beginners.html. Thanks!