Lemon meringue cupcakes.

Lemon meringue pie is one of my favourite desserts and last weekend I decided to spend an afternoon making lemon meringue cupcakes. I didn't use a specific recipe although I'm sure if you Google it you would find hundreds. Just incase they didn't turn out as planned I made half into lemon cupcakes (always good to have a backup plan!)

I used the Hummingbird book to make a plain bun ready for the amazing toppings I would be adding on top. Once they had cooled down I took half of the buns and scooped out a hole in the centre, and carefully filled each hole with lemon curd.


Then I made a batch of plain frosting and added a couple of tablespoons of lemon zest. I covered each bun with the lemon frosting and happily licked the spoon afterwards - yum!


Here's where I cheated a little bit (I promise I'll make my own meringue next time!) - I popped a meringue whirl on the top of each cupcake with lemon curd inside. Voila - take a bite and it's the next best thing to eating lemon meringue pie! And they look quite pretty too.


A sprinkle of lemon zest finished off the plain lemon cupcakes - and I can honestly say, both kinds are absolutely yummy. You need a trip to the dentist after eating one though! They are super sweet but really tasty.

You have read this article baking and cooking with the title Lemon meringue cupcakes.. You can bookmark this page URL http://oscarthemaori.blogspot.com/2011/03/lemon-meringue-cupcakes.html. Thanks!