POVERTY POINT STATE PARK - DAY THREE

Tried to go down another hiking trail today but found more big, muddy holes so turned around and came back up.



On our walk down to the fishing pier this morning we met up with two stray dogs.  They weren't wearing collars so I assumed they were strays.  The first one to approach us was the larger of the two and a very friendly female.  I was a little afraid at first but Xi Shi kept pulling me towards her and so I got close and the two of them sniffed noses.   Once close enough to take a photo I noticed the dog's eyes.  They were the most beautiful light blue color... I just couldn't believe how blue they were.  She didn't look like a pure breed of dog so I'm guessing this is a rare occurence.




Beautiful blue eyes.

Xi Shi found her fascinating.  She followed her around and pranced and asked her to play, however, the stray sat there looking at her and not responding to her requests.


We crossed over the highway to the lake and there was the other dog coming at us.  Xi Shi sat down in her docile mode and I put my hand out to the dog and she licked it.  Then they sniffed noses and went their seperate ways.  No one seemed to be the owner of these dogs as they walked the pier being friendly to everyone.  Very sweet animals.



Not as many people on the pier today.  We walked closer to the water and spoke to a couple of people fishing.



Xi Shi walked very near the edge of the lake but didn't go in.  I'm surprised.  It is so pretty under the trees that we stayed there a good while.  There were cars parked mere feet from the fishing area and some people had chairs and ice chests with them.  If I had a car, that is where I'd spend the day.


We took the other walking trail back to our campsite.

Rode my bike, read my book, played fetch with the dog, ate lunch, searched the Internet for the nearest Walmart, and placed a Peace Rock.   We're leaving in the morning - a day before our time is up but I'm bored so it's time to move on.  


I've decided not to book for longer than 2 days from now on.  This changes my itenerary drastically but I think I'd like to get back home in a few weeks as opposed to a few months.  I can still visit all of the state parks as planned but won't be attending the festivals along the way.  I think it would be better if I made a special trip to the individual festivals instead of trying to fit them into my itenerary. 

It's lonely traveling solo.  I have gone days without speaking to a single person.  Everywhere I look there are couples and families with children having fun.  I have not run into any solo travelers and sometimes it appears that I am looked at as an oddity.  Whether or not that is the case, I feel like an outsider.  I like my alone time but also need some socializing from time to time.  That's not going to happen on this trip.  If I eventually consider doing more types of trips like this one I would definitely have to have a tow car to get around in.  Right now, I just can't afford it.
You have read this article with the title POVERTY POINT STATE PARK - DAY THREE. You can bookmark this page URL http://oscarthemaori.blogspot.com/2012/03/poverty-point-state-park-day-three.html. Thanks!